How Exactly Does The K1 Visa Work?



Thinking about marrying someone from another country? Then you likely are interested in the visa process for bringing your fiance over to the United States. It is a complex situation but one that can be tackled quite easily with the help of an attorney. Below we go through some of the things you should know before getting started with the visa process. 


Fall in Love With Someone Outside The Country

Falling in love with someone outside the country isn't unheard of. In fact, since the Internet, it's become quite common. As you can imagine, this has also made the process for obtaining a K-1 visa longer than normal. Other things you'll need to do before applying for your visa is meet each other at least once within a 2-year period before filing your petition. If not, your K1 visa could be denied.


Apply For the K1 visa and Meet the Requirements

Before you can apply for your K1 visa, you'll also need to petition for a fiance to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services office. From here, the office will determine whether or not you are eligible and have met their qualifications for moving forward with the process. If so, you can then apply for the visa for K1 non-immigrants.


Bring Your soon-to-be-spouse To The U.S.

Next, you’ll have to arrange for your soon-to-be-spouse to enter the country. This normally involves flying, but not always. If they are just across the border, it might even be a simple drive.

The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services mentions, “The process for bringing your fiancé(e) to the United States involves USCIS, the U.S. Department of State (DOS), and U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP). At each stage in the process, background and security checks may be conducted on both you and your fiancé(e). This may include checks in various databases for national security, criminal history, and other information about you and your fiancé(e). These checks are conducted using fingerprints, names, or other biographic or biometric information.


90-Days To Marry and Apply For Permanent Residency

A fiancé visa is only viable when you want to bring someone to the United States with the intention of marrying them. You’ll have 90-days to get everything together and have your wedding. After the wedding, you can start the process for permanent residency, seeking a green card for your spouse. It has been quite common for individuals to go through the process. There has been some increased interest since the debut of the hit show, “90-day fiance”.